The Ruskin Art Club records consist of meeting minutes, programs, administrative and financial records, clippings, some correspondence, photographs, and ephemera, created and collected by the members of the Club, 1891-2003. The records describe in detail the activities of the Club, which were in the area of art education for its membership. Of particular importance are the minutes and programs, which describe in detail the lectures delivered to the membership by the membership, and formed the core activity of the Club. Also included are some papers created and collected by Helen Witmer, president of the Club during the 1950s and 60s.
The Ruskin Collection is still owned by the Guild of St George, but is maintained and displayed by Museums Sheffield. The collection is an eclectic mix that reflects Ruskin’s many interests. Early renaissance art, gothic architecture, Albrecht Dürer and JMW Turner’s engravings, mosaic decoration, Japanese cloisonné enameling, illustrations of birds, flowers, insects and landscapes all have their place. In addition, Ruskin added collections of geology and coins, and a library of illustrated books and medieval manuscripts. The Guild of St George has since added to the collection with drawings and paintings, late Victorian photographs and pieces from the Ruskin Linen Industry.